Re: [UAI] Fuzzy sets vs. Bayesian Network

From: Stuart Russell (russell@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:05:32 PST

    Kathy,
    Good answer. I believe something along these lines can be made to work.
    Of course, you *don't* get the fuzzy rules, which are truth-functional
    and hence insensitive to the nature of dependence between propositions.
    (See Elkan etc., cited in AIMA.) But an interesting calculus might
    emerge. Notice that making the proposition be "X says P in context C"
    brings in a distribution over contexts and speakers as well as the value
    of P itself. I drafted some of this for inclusion in AIMA but
    decided against it, not wishing to seem too probabilist-imperialist
    with Lotfi in the next-door office.
    Stuart