Re: [UAI] how to evaluate approximate algorithms

From: Adnan Darwiche (darwiche@cs.ucla.edu)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 12:46:46 PDT

    Bruce D'Ambrosio wrote:

    > Finally, there is always Adnan Darwiche's space-time tradeoff algorithm
    > that will compute an exact answer to almost anything if you have
    > enough time - although I don't know if there are good implementations (Adnan?),
    > and no-one has enough time to compensate for a bad factoring
    > (elimination order)

    I received a number of questions about the algorithm that Bruce
    mentioned above, so here is a summary:

    The algorithm is called "Recursive Conditioning (RC)." It appeared
    recently (February) in the AIJ special issue on Computational
    Tradeoffs under Bounded Resources:
        http://research.microsoft.com/~horvitz/AIJ_editorial.htm

    The techincal report is available at
        http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~darwiche/rc-aij.ps

    The algorithm allows one to use less space than that needed by
    classical algorithms, such as jointree, but at the expense of taking
    more time. It is "anyspace" in the sense that it can run under any
    amount of space you make available to it. It allows "smooth"
    time-space tradeoff as you can trade space at the increment of
    X-bytes, where X is the number of bytes needed to store a floating
    point number in a cache. One can also predict the running time of the
    algorithm under different amounts of space. The algorithm is then
    helpful if "space" is the bottleneck instead of "time."

    There is no publically available implementation at this stage, but I
    am planning to make one available later this summer.

    Adnan