Re: [UAI] Degree of relevance in Bayesian Networks

From: Nick Hynes (admin@1site.co.nz)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 10:18:43 PDT

    Hi Samuel,

    I started to look at the issues around feature selection. Most of the
    current methods used are fairly non-stochastic. The statistical methods are
    robust to independent features (i.e. features that tell you nothing about
    the target class/value), and so not many statisticians have not considered
    reducing the number of features.

    In the more traditional machine learning arena this problem has been looked
    at by a number of authors. Principle Component Analysis is commonly used -
    search on http://www.researchindex.org/. Any new branch of research claims
    to work well with highly dependent variables, and uses clustering. I
    presented a seminar on this branch of work, which you can find at:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pat/760_2001/seminars/nicks760.html

    I should point out that the mathematical justification for these methods is
    immature - some short comings are highlighted on the website.

    ;)

    Regards,
    Nick Hynes.