RE: [UAI] BBNs for GIS models

From: Robert P. Goldman (goldman@htc.honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 09:38:51 PDT

    I don't know if this is specific enough to be helpful, but in addition to
    conventional Bayes nets, this actually sounds very similar to the spatial
    reasoning that was done in machine vision work by Geman and Geman. Their
    paper on this, which is a classic, can be found in Shafer and Pearl's book
    Readings in Uncertain Reasoning, published by Morgan Kaufmann. Here's a
    citation:

    @ARTICLE{Geman:84,
            AUTHOR = {Stuart Geman and Donald Geman},
            TITLE = {Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distributions and the Bayesian
                     restoration of images},
            JOURNAL = PAMI,
            YEAR = {1984},
            VOLUME = {6},
            note = {Republished in \cite{UNCReadings}},
            PAGES = {721-741}
    }

    PAMI is the IEEE Proceedings on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence.

    A great deal of vision work like this was done at the Brown University
    Department of Applied Mathematics by Geman, Ulf Grenander and others. The
    central theme was to take a grid of pixels and treat it as a Markov Field,
    and then find interpretations as optimal labelings. Higher level processes
    could also be represented (e.g. edges) as influences on the pixel random
    variables. The geographical analogy should be clear.

    I'm afraid I haven't tracked this work, so I can't provide more up-to-date
    citations.

    Best,