Re: [UAI] UAI and double blind reviews

From: Judy Goldsmith (goldsmit@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 11:11:24 PST

    Double-blind reviews kinda' sorta' work. I've watched several research
    communities address this question. Some of the cryptography conferences
    use double-blind reviewing. It means that no one should refer to
    "in our earlier work, ...." And it means that reviewers are sometimes
    mistaken in their assumptions about the authors. But political decisions
    are sometimes made.

    In the structural complexity community, this idea is brought up once
    in a while and dismissed. The community is small enough and tight
    enough that people tend to know about papers (not all, but a significant
    number) before they are submitted, and tend to recognize writing styles.
    At best, blind reviewing would simply remind the reviewers that they
    are supposed to be ignoring personal opinions about the authors. I guess
    that community trusts its reviewers to do so without that form of
    reminder.