Re: [UAI] Mixed DBN propagation

From: Kevin Murphy (murphyk@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 10:28:23 PST

    Kevin Van Horn's algorithm sounds like the standard GPB heuristic
    used in the tracking field for switching Kalman filters (which is
    the same as Todd's model, modulo the trivial extra C(t-1) -> C(t)
    arcs). This is described in a book by Bar-Shalom and Fortmann.
    I also have a tech report describing it, and some related algorithms.
    I suspect that Minka's expectation propagation would work even
    better, but haven't tried it. Of course, you can always do
    particle filtering or MCMC...

    HTH,
    Kevin

    @phdthesis{Minka01,
      author = "T. Minka",
      title = "A family of algorithms for approximate {B}ayesian inference",
      school = "MIT",
      year = 2001
    }

    @techreport{Murphy98_skf,
      author = "K. P. Murphy",
      title = "Switching {K}alman Filters",
      year = 1998,
      institution = "DEC/Compaq Cambridge Research Labs"
    }

    @book{Bar-Shalom88,
      author = "Y. Bar-Shalom and T. Fortmann",
      title = "Tracking and data association",
      year = 1988,
      publisher = "Academic Press"
    }