RE: [UAI] Fuzzy sets vs. Bayesian Network

From: Hansen, Peter Friis (pfh@ish.dtu.dk)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 17:00:56 PST

    Dear Herman Bruyninckx,

    I am loosing it. Whatever I understood slowly disappears.

    Probability theory (or Bayesian theory) is algebraically fully consistent.
    Yes, that's why I like it. In fuzzy logic you define rules, which can be
    defined in almost infinitely many ways. OK. But the definition of rules in
    fuzzy logic is that not a part of the modeling? Has that anything to do
    with the algebra of fuzzy sets? Given a fuzzy model, will results not be
    "consistent" (in some way) with the modeling? Will results not somehow be
    verifiable?

    In the modeling aspects BN's (or probability theory) does not offer any
    consistency either. Just to take an example from my (engineering) world,
    where data often is very scarce --- if not unavailable:

    Say you are interested in evaluating a new layout of a bridge design (on a
    ship). Your concern is to evaluate the (risk) reducing impact on the
    probability of grounding and/or collisions that the new bridge design may
    have. In the end, of course, it all boils down to the cost of the new
    bridge layout should prove its worth on the reduction in e.g. oil spill.
    The new bridge might have effect on available time to detect objects, stress
    level, ability to interpret the criticality of the situation, aspects of
    weather, traffic, etc., etc. Nonetheless, a (causal) model must be defined
    and it is a fiction to believe that there exists such thing as total
    objectivity. The choice of model is of course not unique, but it could be
    verifiable in a comparison to some data.

    I know that BN could help me in such a modeling. But how may fuzzy theory
    help? Indeed, aspects of "detection", "stress level", and "interpretation"
    are fuzzy. In my BN modeling I also need to define some "rules" on how the
    captain will react to combinations of input (or states of the world).

    My needs are purely pragmatic. I have no clue on t-norms or t-conorms, which
    might be of importance for my writing of the page?

    Best regards, Peter

    Peter Friis Hansen
    Associate Professor, Ph.D.
    Department of Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering,
    Build. 101E, Technical University of Denmark,
    DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
    Tel: + 45 45 25 13 88
    Fax: +45 45 88 43 25
    Email: pfh@ish.dtu.dk