Re: [UAI] how to evaluate approximate algorithms when exact solution is not available?

From: Rina Dechter (dechter@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 11:56:19 PDT

    Haipeng,

    The question of evaluating the quality of an approximation to
    probabilistic inference is really a very important one and a difficult
    one, with which we also struggle with in Irvine.

     Sometimes it is possible to generate by an approximation an upper and
    lower bounds of the exact probability which can bound provide some
    estimate of the accuracy.
      However, such methods are often very inaccurate.
    Therefore one produces arbitrary approximations (no guarantees).
    In that case, I dont see any other way but to test your approximation
    algorithm on relatively small or moderate networks and compare against
    the exact figure (computed by an exact algorithm) with the
    hope that the information gained from such comparison scales up.
    You can then try too show superiority relative to other
    competing approximation algorithms.

    For some recent relevant work in this area please see:
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~dechter/publications/
    R95.

    I have seen some people comparing approximation reults to each other
    (comparing to Gibbs sampling for instance) however such comparisons are
    meaningless, I think.

    ----Rina.